12.24.2008

Missile toes, more from Bert's tour of Texas

So, during our trip to Texas, we were tooling around on the Gator, my esteemed guide (Bert, 9) displaying an impressive innate sense for what I would find photo-worthy and I asked, "What kind of nest is that?"


Noticing that I was pointing at a dark ball in an otherwise desiccated-looking tree, he said, with only the tiniest hint of geez-you-northerners-are-idiots in his tone, "That's mistletoe."

"I didn't know missiles had toes. Is that a Texas thing?"

Okay, I didn't say that because I didn't think of it until just now. Dang it.

Instead, I said something along the lines of, "Aw, how sweet."

"Well, it sucks the water out of trees and kills them," he replied.

What? I thought. What the hell kind of sweet holiday cheer kissing thing sucks the life out of trees and kills them?

Does Santa know about this?

Yeah, I didn't say any of that, either.

As it turns out, my knowledgeable guide was correct, though I'm guessing a lot of you knew that already.

Mistletoe is both:

beneficial and deadly to plants and animals

poisonous and a supposed remedy for poisoning

a killer, and a potential cure for cancer

Huh?

And you thought kissing was complicated.

Happy Holidays!

Robin

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I didn't known Mistletoe did that.... ewwww..... kind of gives a whole new meaning to the idea of kissing under it. Bleh.

Hope your holidays are full of fun, family, laughter and love!

*hugs*